Whether you’re in a minor fender-bender or a big accident, we show you how to avoid having to go to court for an accident by winning a settlement in your favor.
As a driver, you’ll probably be involved in a car accident at least once in your life. Considering that there are over 6 million car accidents every year in the United States, you’ve got no reason to doubt that an accident is waiting to happen right ahead of that bend. A car accident can come with multiple issues. You could lose your life or sustain severe injuries, and the vehicle could be damaged beyond repair. Things can also take a different dimension if you or another party is at fault. You might need to go to court (or be taken to court).
But the question is: does the case need to end up in court?
Keep reading to learn more.
Reasons Why a Car Accident Case Can Go to Court
- To establish whether you have to go to court after a car accident, it’s important first to understand the reasons the case can go to court.
- After a car accident where someone is at fault, the at-fault party typically must compensate the other party. This is to say; if you cause a car crash and another driver is hurt in the process, you will undoubtedly compensate them for their healthcare expenses, car damage, and other losses. This is the reason you purchase auto insurance: to cover your liabilities after a car accident.
- Now, if you refuse to admit that you’re at fault for an accident, even after investigations have found you at fault, the other party can sue you in the judicature. The case will go to trial if you maintain that you aren’t at fault, after which the court will deliver a verdict. You can also sue another driver if they’re the one at fault and they’re refusing to admit liability.
- A case can also end up in court in a situation where the at-fault party doesn’t have any or adequate auto insurance and isn’t willing to issue compensation out of pocket.
How to Avoid Going to Court after a Car Crash
- Time Consuming
The court process can be lengthy and costly. It’s in the best interest of the involved parties to avoid taking the matter to the courtroom. There’s a reason 95 percent of car accident cases settle out of court.
- Hiring a Lawyer
To avoid going to the courtroom, start by assessing whether you need legal help. Hiring a car crash lawyer can help you avoid problems that can otherwise escalate to court. For instance, they can help you negotiate a fair settlement with the other party if you’re at fault. Even if you don’t hire a lawyer, try your best to settle with the other party. Of course, if you’re the one at fault, you could be disadvantaged, especially if you feel the other party is being overly aggressive, but let them know going to court isn’t the best solution.
- Have a Car Insurance
And, if you’ve got adequate liability insurance, you don’t have to worry about it because it’s your insurer’s job to negotiate and reach a settlement.
- Do not leave the Accident Site
If you have indulged in a car crash, do not intend to leave the site. There are maximum cases where the faulty leaves the site. This practice leads to misunderstanding. The other person can file a police case if you leave the site.
- Call 911
Most people think it is okay not to call police officials. Whether anybody is hurt or not, you should call the officials. The other person may think that you are caring for his or her well-being and can avoid filing a case on you.
- Do Not Argue
A road accident can be frustrating. You must be thinking of fighting with the other person. We suggest not indulging in any fight or argument. Try to keep yourself calm and treat the other person carefully. The involvement in a fight after the accident can take you to court.
- Always admit your fault
If you have encountered any car accident, and you think that it is your fault then, do not neglect your fault. If you admit your fault and help the other person during that time, the person may not take the case to court.
- Always Follow-up
Going through a car accident can is upsetting. But, do not forget to follow up with the insurance company after the incident. They are the ones who can help you get the right amount of insurance. Moreover, try to help the other person by taking them to the hospital.
- Do not enter into a settlement
You must be thinking of entering into a settlement with the other person. We suggest not involving in any settlement on your own. The insurance company has hired professionals who will help you get a fair agreement outside the courtroom. They will help you get the best settlement and will solve the matter outside.
You Don’t Have to Go to Court after a Road Accident
Yes, your car crash case may end up in court, but that doesn’t have to be the case. As long as you know what to do after an accident, you don’t have to go to court. Do not indulge in any fight. The fight is the main reason which can take your case to court. Help the other person to reach the hospital. Do not try to settle the case on your own. Always admit your fault and avoid arguing with the other person. And most importantly, always consult your car insurance company for help. Drive safe as you’re family is waiting for you in your home.
Keep safe and stay hooked to our blog for more tips and insights.