If you look at the market of EU citizenship by investment, you will find practically nothing. The only existing program is offered by Malta, but the investment requirements are quite high: be ready to pay a minimum of one million dollars (what is more, you will have to reside in the country for at least one year to qualify).
The Cyprus program is suspended. You can get a residence permit in Serbia, for instance, and hope that it will soon join the EU as promised (and then you will have an opportunity to obtain EU citizenship). However, Portugal has a unique offer.
Under the Portuguese Golden Visa program, you will need to invest an affordable amount (the minimum option possible is 250,000 euros), and you will only have to reside in Portugal for 7 days every year.
You will not become a citizen instantly, however: you will get a residence permit for 5 years, which will give you the right to apply for permanent residence (and citizenship) after it expires.
Still, this is an almost guaranteed way of becoming an EU citizen not to miss. If you are interested, we would like to invite you to our portal where you can read more about the benefits of the Portugal Golden Visa.
We also have specialists who can answer your questions and help you with any aspect of the Portuguese program, including documents, relocation, communication with local authorities, or opening an account with a local bank.
You can buy a turnkey package to receive overall support in obtaining the Portuguese Golden Visa: our experts will ensure you a hassle-free experience, so you will obtain a residence permit with minimum effort. Follow the link above to book a session!
Golden Visa Advantages
The Portuguese program is extremely popular, and the government even had to impose some restrictions not so long ago. Here are the features you will surely appreciate:
- Investment amount is affordable. Some investments are non-refundable. However, if you buy real estate, you can resell it in five years and keep your visa active! And we know numerous cases when people resold their property at a profit – as a result, the program cost them nothing. You can do the same – or choose any other path to invest out of the eight options available (by the way, there are few investment programs that offer such a variety).
- Obtain citizenship for the whole family! The Portuguese program is family-friendly, which means that you can include your loved ones in the application as dependents. Children will take advantage of the best European schools and higher education establishments at reduced rates.
- The Schengen area is now open to you. If you have a Golden Visa, access to Schengen countries will be visa-free, and no time limits will apply to you.
- Mild residence requirements. The mandatory 7 days that you will have to spend in Portugal annually can be considered a holiday that you can spend by the seaside (and the country has every opportunity for that!).
- Always on the white list. Being an EU and OECD member, Portugal has the right to decide which countries will be blacklisted and restricted. It means that it will never vote against itself – so it will not be blacklisted. It means that you can have peace of mind regarding your accounts and business in Portugal.
- Portuguese citizenship is near. According to statistics, many Golden Visa holders have acquired citizenship by now, so you can follow suit. The Portuguese passport will give you an opportunity to permanently live and work in any EU state of your choice (plus Switzerland and some other countries that are parties to special agreements).
- Portugal is a country you will love! A small laid-back country with friendly locals, a relaxed lifestyle, a good climate, the seaside, and a taste for food and wine – that’s what Portugal is about, and it is simply marvelous!
Am I Eligible?
Portugal is interested in attracting foreign capital, so it did not set any exorbitant requirements for potential residents:
- It goes without saying that you need to be able to invest the required amount in the Portuguese economy (or create a business and jobs for the locals).
- Your criminal record must be clean (this is applicable to the main investor and to all dependents).
- No previous restrictions on entry to European Union countries for some serious reasons.
- The main applicant will be required to provide proof of the legitimate origin of funds that are going to be invested.
- The adult children included in the application should be financially dependent on the main applicant (students, for example), and you will have to provide relevant proof.
- Make sure to get a health insurance policy for each application member for the whole term of stay in Portugal.
- The 7-day break in Portugal that we mentioned before is mandatory.
- Any assets you acquire as part of the Golden Visa program must be held for five years before you can resell them – otherwise, you lose the right to the residence permit.
There are eight possible ways to invest in the Portuguese economy. You can get a 20% discount on any of these if you choose a sparsely populated or underdeveloped district of the country.
Here is what you can select:
- Transfer your capital to the country (at least 1,500,000 euros) and keep it there in the form of a deposit or invest in equity, public debt, or securities.
- Create at least 10 jobs for the locals.
- Purchase real estate that costs at least 500,000 euros. Mind that some areas are restricted (most seaside districts) – follow the above link to see a map.
- Buy 30-year-old real estate subject to renovation (outside restricted areas) by investing 350,000 euros. The cost applies to the final product: you can buy an object for 300,000 euros and invest 50,000 euros in renovation to qualify.
- Invest 500,000 euros in public/private research and development or purchase the shares of the investment/venture fund for the same amount.
- The cheapest option: invest 250,000 in artistic production or national heritage reconstruction.
- Finally, you can make a business investment by transferring 500,000 euros to the country with the intent to invest it in your business (you are required to create 5 jobs for the local residents). You can also invest the same amount in the authorized capital of a company with an office in Portugal.
Sounds impressive? Follow the above link to read further details or book a session with our expert to ask questions or start the process!