Being healthy is more than just about being fit or sexy. It can be broken down the into different measurements to assess how the whole system is going. It is not about singling out individual symptoms but piecing together the basic aspects to achieve optimal wellness.
Holistic health is a fantastic principle that looks into the fundamental aspects of the entire being. It recognizes how incredible the whole system is, not leaving out any issue to support the mind, body, and spirit. You will need more than just the usual treatments and therapies for that.
In some cases, people resort to alternative healthcare practices on top of conventional prescription drugs. The goal is simple: to create a complementary approach beyond supporting physical health, extending the benefits to one’s mental, emotional, social, and spiritual health.
The use of cannabidiol (CBD) — a chemical derived from the Cannabis sativa plant — is an alternative supplement that’s been gaining popularity in recent years for its supposed holistic health benefits. CBD products are available in various forms and different applications.
They come in oils, topical solutions, and flowers to use in food and other edibles or apply in the affected areas. CBD is known for potentially treating seizures, anxiety, chronic pain, inflammation, and tobacco addiction. To learn more about the magic of CBD and how it can help you enjoy its potential effects to boost your overall health, click here.
To get into a state of holistic health, learn about the five significant aspects and how you can support their optimal state.
When you talk about health, the physical aspect always gets the spotlight. The body shows visible signs and symptoms, which are easier to measure and track. You can quickly tell if something is wrong with your body based on how you feel or if any changes seem alarming. Monitoring your vital signs (blood pressure, body temperature, pulse rate, respiratory rate) is also an excellent way to measure the status of your bodily functions.
The means and methods to maintain optimal physical health are pretty obvious:
- Sleep at least 8 hours a day.
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
- Keep your blood sugar low by staying away from fatty, salty, and sugary food varieties.
- Limit your processed food and alcohol intake. Quit smoking as much as possible.
- Exercise daily. The body needs a regular workout to stay strong.
A person’s emotional state is not always given as much attention as physical health, but it is as important. You may not realize it, but how you feel can strongly impact your body. For example, if you are sad or anxious, you can barely touch your food, making you miss mealtimes that could jeopardize your digestive health.
A stomach ache or more severe symptoms such as nausea and vomiting may signify such trouble. That’s why you should never overlook your emotional health and continuously find ways to support it by doing the following:
- Practice mindfulness meditation as often as your schedule permits. You need quiet time for yourself to calm your chaos and maintain your focus.
- Relax and de-stress. Managing your life’s daily stressors effectively ensures that your emotions do not get out of control.
- Indulge in activities or things that will make you happy. Instead of solely focusing on your career and what you need to do, try to achieve a work-life balance.
- Journal your thoughts and feelings when you do not have someone to talk to because keeping them inside you can cause emotional strain. Also, listing down things about your life you are most grateful for is an effective way to maintain a positive outlook.
- Seek therapy if you need to. Unfortunately, there is a stigma to seeking professional help to let your voice be heard about the things weighing you down. However, no one should feel afraid because it’s an essential feature of supporting your emotional health and should be utilized whenever needed.
Mental health overlaps with physical and emotional health. It’s an aspect of your brain processes beyond your daily moods and emotions. To ensure that your cognitive abilities and brain functions are at their best, try the following steps:
- Keep your mind active.
- Incorporate mindful tactics to calm your mind and keep your body present.
- Eat food that enhances cognitive function, including those with Omega-3 fatty acids and potent antioxidants.
- Enhance gut health with prebiotic and probiotic rich foods.
- Avoid alcohol and cigarettes.
The happiest people can significantly reduce their risks for certain diseases. Why? Because they usually have low stress levels. Based on studies, happiness is somehow connected to a person’s more profound sense of community. To support your social health, you must:
- Keep your relationship with friends and family healthy. Make time for them and spend time with them.
- Set your boundaries with toxic people who may bring negativity into your life.
- Get involved in the community. Doing social good is equivalent to many happy returns, literally and figuratively.
You need a deeper connection to your inner soul and the greater world surrounding you. Spiritual wellness is not merely about religion but the established principles that may rule in your life, showing you which way to go and how to choose between right and wrong. To maintain your spiritual health in tip-top shape, you should:
- Practice your faith. It does not matter what religion you are affiliated with or what concept of the supreme being you believe in. What matters is how you apply the principles of your faith in the way you live your life.
- Take time to meditate, reflecting on how your life has been and connecting with your inner self.
- Commune with nature. Getting out and allowing yourself quiet time with the universe is a great way to be in touch with your soul.
Ideally, everyone should aim for holistic health, no matter how they intend to get to it. Taking care of oneself goes beyond what you see outright. By focusing your healthcare plan on the five major aspects of your being, you can start to have a whole body perspective.